Round About Portland

Read along as I experience life.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Donating to a worthy cause

In May of 2005, I had what may have been the greatest of many phenomenal experiences in Kenya. As a member of the Gender and Development Committee, I participated in Peace Corps Kenya's first annual Camp GLOW (Girls Leading Our World). We brought about 25 secondary school girls from central Kenya to Nairobi, along with 4 college mentors from my town in Narok.

We spent a week at Rowallan Scout Camp, a beautiful forest hideaway, just minutes from Kibera, East Africa's largest slum. During this week, the girls played games and sports; participated in team-building activities; received advice from Kenyan career women; learned about leadership skills, women's right, pregnancy, and HIV; took a Rape Aggression Defense class; and much, much more.

We did all of this on a Peace Corps budget, about $1600 for food, transport, and housing for 40 people. That's $6/per person/per day. Most of that we raised ourselves by sorting through the ratty clothing and possessions of former volunteers and auctioning off whatever anyone would take.

Since we left, the Camp GLOW idea has expanded in the hands of volunteers. Last year, they doubled the numbers by sponsoring two one-week camps and bringing in girls from all over the country. This year, they are aiming for THREE WEEKS.

I am putting together a fund to support the Camp GLOW Kenya effort. I've already contacted members of my training group, and some of them are sending me checks. Even $5 can make a difference! If you'd like to give "kitu kidogo" (something small), let me know by April 6. After all my rantings about the evils of donor funding, there are still a few projects I believe in, and this is one.

Feel free to check out the pictures from the first Camp GLOW. They say it all:

Camp Glow 2005 Pictures

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home