Life in a temporary world
I had a dream last night which pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about the working world these days. I dreamed that my newest temp job was to squeeze myself out into lemon juice to provide to thirsty workers in Antarctica.
The experience I've had so far has been somewhat bittersweet (like lemon juice). On the one hand, I'm making money, keeping busy, and meeting new people. On the other hand, I recognize the work for what it is - pure drudgery. And since I'm not getting consistent work, the money is barely enough to sustain myself.
I was able to book three jobs last week - two at the Chamber of Commerce and one answering phones for a consulting firm. In one, I sat for hours on end without the phone ringing. In the other, I spent 8 hours comparing 2 26-page printed speadsheets. Only one was sort of in alphabetical order, so I had to look at one, find the corresponding match in the other, and highlight it. Ours is not to reason why. But I actually used up an entire highlighter and had to ask for another one after 7 hours. I'm fairly sure this would be a job in hell, and yet I think I preferred it to staring off into space practicing how I would answer the phone if it ever rang. "Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment."
Apparently I did my job right, because the Chamber of Commerce was so impressed by my highlighting abilities that they called me back in for a two-day "special project" this week. I got there bright and early on Monday, and waited 20 minutes for my supervisor to come in. The work she had for me wasn't bad - at least there were no highlighters involved - but it was clearly not enough to keep me busy for two days, or even one really. I'm not good at stretching out mindless work. I'd rather get it done and move on to the next thing. I managed to make it last until 5:00, hoping she could come up with something different the next day. Instead, she said she wouldn't need me. So I'm out another day's pay - the price of efficiency.
I stopped by Manpower after work Monday to let them know I'd be available the following day. They didn't have anything, but told me that they had submitted my resume for a 6 week job covering someone's maternity leave. It was a 50% pay increase, and I was excited about the prospect of having something steady for a short period. Unfrotunately, it didn't work out. The hiring firm looked at my resume and said I was overqualified. Well, duh! It's a temp job - it's not like they're paying me any more money because I have a Master's degree. You'd think they would be grateful for the bargain.
Manpower offered me another position, but I vacillated because it was a 12-week assignment, a 40-minute commute, and less money. Now I'm afraid they won't take me seriously for other offers. It's a strange dynamic there. It's a staff of two - Person A who likes me and Person B who doesn't. Both are friendly when I call, but it's clear that Person B would rather see me dead than get me a job. OK, maybe that's a slight exaggeration. Still, my heart drops when I call and Person B answers the phone. I know I'll get no work that day.
On the bright side, having no steady job allows me the freedom of moving about. I'm in Roanoke now to spend Thanksgiving with my mom and have taken the whole week off. Happy Turkey Day!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home