My Hiking Schedule
Today I went to the Post Office to mail 2 of the three food packages I am shipping to myself along the Trail. One weighed nearly 12 lbs and the other more than 19. It will be like carrying 2 newborns along with me!
The lady at the counter was fascinated by my trip. "Are these people actually hiking all this way?" she asked. I explained that it was me doing the hiking and that I was mailing food to myself. She said how exciting it must be, then quickly added, "What are you bringing to protect yourself?" I told her we would have some mace. She went on to tell me a story about her friend and her friend's sister who "used to love to do things like that". Until her friend's sister went missing and was never heard from again. OK then. I'm pretty sure that's not an appropriate story to tell a stranger. But as an afterthought, she said, "Oh, but I'm sure that won't happen to you." Thanks for the confidence, lady.
In response to that, I thought it might be a good idea to post my schedule in case anyone is wondering where I am at any given time. My immediate family and Jen and Gilbert will be getting a more detailed plan, with phone numbers for reaching me when I'm in towns. So you can always contact them if you need to get in touch. I'll also have my cell phone for towns, although I don't know what the coverage will be like. As in life, nothing in this schedule is certain. Dates are approximate.
September 3 Springer Mountain, GA
September 7 Neel's Gap, GA
September 10 Hiawassee, GA
September 17 Nantahala River, NC
September 20 Fontana Dam, NC
September 27 Davenport Gap, TN
September 30 Hot Springs, NC
October 7 Erwin, TN
October 11 Roan Mountain, TN
October 17 Damascus, VA


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home