MORE things Bikey?
This is quickly becoming Amy's Portland Bike Blog. Like there aren't enough of those out there already. This is me on Saltzman in Forest Park a few weeks ago.
Reach the Beach is fast approaching. Four days and counting. Thanks to many of you, I've raised $540! Some of you lucky ones even got cookies. I still owe packages to a few people, but cookies are out at this point. It turns out that I hate making them. And I'm not very good at it, in any case.
For those who didn't contribute, don't worry. I have a feeling I'll be doing something like this again soon. The MS ride is in August!
I never surpassed the 70 mile ride a few weeks ago. While I've grown to love biking, I feel like most of my free time gets eaten up by it on the weekends, and I'm frankly looking forward to Sunday - the day AFTER the ride. I plan to lay in bed for most of the day, watch some Buffy, maybe get out long enough to head to the soaking pool at Kennedy School.
I'm still nervous about Saturday. I have no doubt that I can finish at this point. It's just a matter of finishing in time. I found out last week that the course closes at 5pm, a full two hours before I thought it did. Depending on how quickly I can pick up my packet and be on the road, I'll have 9-10 hours to complete the ride. I bought a bike computer this weekend, and clocked myself on a 15 mile ride to Mt. Tabor and back. According to my math, if I can keep that same pace (12.8 mph), I should be able to take 8 minute breaks every hour and finish by 5. Plus Harrison says I can draft off of him for awhile, and since he's 6'8", I don't expect I'll have to pedal much at all behind him.
I ran into a friend tonight who just completed a century last weekend. It took her 8 hours, and she was on a much faster road bike. Still, I'm hopeful. And planning more events! Next weekend, some girlfriends and I will ride the 16 miles or so out to Edgefield, a lovely mansion, hotel, bar, restaurant, concert venue, and all-around nifty place. We'll be taking Marine Drive, a nice bike path I discovered last weekend along the Columbia River.
In other bike related news, I also met the organizer of the Naked Bike Ride earlier tonight. Actually, I've met her a few times, but didn't know she was the organizer. She and another friend were talking about "getting their costumes ready". I laughed and said, "You mean, you're working out a lot?" They said no, they really are wearing costumes. Seems to go against the whole concept to me, but anything goes I guess. Maybe I'll find a use for that bikini I knitted after all.


4 Comments:
It's a Portland area event, so I must ask: What are you going to wear for the ride?
- You should consider making a t-shirt with your name on the back. That way the fans can cheer for you and those you pass can know the name of the girl blowing past them. Then again, if anyone is passing you they'll know your name too. So maybe you want to use a bar name or something really hard to pronounce.
You'll burn loads of calories during this race, any plans for a crazy meal/food at the end of the race?
- You should have something yummy, but avoid those all you can eat german restaurants!
Yeah, I dropped the ball on a costume, I think. I still have the bunny ears, but they're pretty uncomfortable for several hours of riding. I'm afraid it's just going to be spandex for me. It's supposed to be 88 degrees on Saturday, so luckily I hit the REI sale last week for some summer gear!
There's a barbeque beach party at the end of the race, assuming I can drag my butt in before the kitchen closes! I may do a little pre-race carbo loading at The Montage restaurant, famous for their macaroni and cheese.
Good Luck on the ride! I'm training for a triathlon in June. I haven't had time to train as much as I should have, so I'm a little worried about the running portion.
I've promised myself two pints of Ben & Jerry's vanilla when I'm done.
Oh, and I thought the cookies were great.
Wow! All these triathalon-ers. Marcia's training for one too. You guys are hardcore. I don't think I could do the swim with my spaghetti arms.
On an unrelated note, this link is for Brad:
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/05/whedons-killer.html
Post a Comment
<< Home