The situation in Kenya
I've been absent a few months, so it's sad to return on such a sour note. The post-election violence continues to escalate in Kenya, and hundreds of thousands have been displaced, including it seems, many people in Narok. I wish I had some special insight to impart about what's going on there, but I know very little myself. I've written e-mails to a few people in the country, but so far have had no responses.
I will say that my initial reaction to the 'genocide' as the newspapers reported was, "So?" I saw a lot of violence when I lived there, much of it tribally motivated. There were riots during the constitutional vote, so it didn't really surprise me that a presidential election, especially one so poorly handled, would spur more controversy. But as the days have worn on, the situation has not calmed down. Then I learned that all the stores in Narok are closed and that the food market was burned down. That hit close to home.
My friend Emily sent me this e-mail, and update from Agnes Pereiyio, a woman who runs a rescue center for Maasai girls in Narok. She is partially funded by a foundation run by Eve Ensler, author of the Vagina Monologues, and she was at the performance I went to in Nairobi in 2005. I remember how hopeful I felt then, watching the women and men of Kenya stand up against violence. I'm not sure how I feel now, but 'hope' is not the word:
V-DAY UPDATE - THIS JUST IN FROM KENYA
The Situation in Narok
- This conflict started on the night the election results announced the victory of President Kibaki. Conflict between the Kikuyu, Massai and Luo's broke out throughout Kenya. In the last few days the situation has been reported as improving in Nairobi, however it is important to know that in Narok, it is getting far worse.
- Stores are closed, there is no petrol for cars and the cost of food continues to inflate at exorbitant rates. Last week a head of lettuce was 20 shillings. It is now 150 shillings.
- On the night of Sunday, December 30th, Massai men burned the Narok food market, a primary source of income for the mostly female members of the Kikuyu tribe. Thus, in the last few days there has been no produce available in Kenya.
- Violence, as well, has become rampant. There have been nightly reports of Kikuyu in Narok burning Massai homes and a confirmed report of Kikuyus castrating a Luo man who later died of his injuries in Narok. Reports of sexual violence too have increased, leading to elevated concern amongst the women and girls of the region.
Peace Corps has also been forced to act. Volunteers in Western Kenya are being evacuated to Tanzania, while others have been consolidated to different areas. I suppose I should be grateful that I'm not there right now, but part of me feels I should be. It's still home somehow.


1 Comments:
I thought this would hit especially close to home for you, Amy. Particularly remembering the constitutional referendum. Narok hasn't made the news much, but I can't understand why- I mean, it sounds from your post and other media sources that they have been impacted as usual, and more. As have many impoverished people in Kenya.
How can the rural people be handling the food price increases alone, let alone the threat to life and limb?
I hope that hope returns soon.
Best,
Katie
Post a Comment
<< Home