Round About Portland

Read along as I experience life.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

What kind of junk food are you?



You are practical, straightforward and unpretentious. While you may not be the best communicator, people appreciate your simplicity and modesty!

Yes, this is how I spend my days, finding out what kind of junk food I am. Actually, I stumbled across this web quiz while trying to decide how to go about "dieting". That's never really been a word in my vocabulary before. About 3 years ago, I dieted for 6 weeks, lost the 10 pounds I wanted to, and never looked back. Basically, I'm looking to do the same thing, only this time it's more like 15 pounds. It turns out that as we get older, so does our Basal Metabolic Rate, meaning basically that I burn fewer calories just by breathing than I did when I was younger. To counteract that, I guess we're supposed to eat less or exercise more or something. It certainly doesn't help that I'm unemployed and surrounded by good food I'd been denied for so long.

It's not that I've ballooned up, only that some of my pants don't fit as comfortably as they once did (or at all). Everyone keeps telling me how "healthy" I look, but in my sensitive mind that translates to "fatty fatty fat fat". My sensitivity may be a holdover from Kenya, where the inverse was true. "You are so fat" is a compliment in Africa, meaning, "You look healthy." If I get any healthier, I'll have to buy new clothes, and I can't afford that right now. So I'm nipping this thing in the bud. I took a 15-mile bike ride today and am counting calories. I'm not under any illusion that this will be a lifestyle change for me, although it should be. Once I'm working again, the pounds will stay off. Until then, I sure could go for a juicy hamburger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home