Round About Portland

Read along as I experience life.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Missing Kenya

I just don't have the hang of this blogging thing yet. Am I supposed to log on every day and pour out my heart and soul to the keyboard? When I lived in Kenya, I felt like I had so much to say. Even though my life was really no different on a day to day basis, it felt more interesting somehow. Now I just sit around waiting for the ice cream to melt so I can get it out of the container. White Coffee Ice Cream - designed and manufactured by my sister.

I've been missing Kenya recently. I just read a Peace Corps memoir called Mango Elephants in the Sun, and it made me think a lot about my own experience. It was very different from the author's. It's an interesting predicament. No matter how much you enjoy your own adventure, there's always part of you that wonders what it would have been like in someone else's shoes.

I wouldn't take a moment back that I spent in Kenya, but I do have regrets. And actually, there are some moments I would gladly take back, so scratch that. Mostly, I wish I had bonded more with my community. Granted, it's not easy in a town of so many people. But there were a few women and students I could have made more effort with. I guess I was just so protective of my alone time that I didn't want to give it up. Yet the best times I had were those moments I spent getting to know the people there.

Back to the book for a moment. This was a story of true integration into a community; consequently, I spent most of the book (just as I did with Emma's War) screaming at the author for doing idiotic things. You don't take off on a bike in the desert when someone just told you there were hijackers on the road. You don't start sleeping with the village doctor as soon as you arrive. But she did. And while I stand by my assessment that she's an idiot, it does make me wonder if I am too cautious sometimes. Most people who know me would say no, I'm sure. But I am reluctant to let people in, and that's why it was hard for me to make lasting friendships in Kenya.

I do still e-mail people there. Just today, I heard from Grace. She tells me it's been raining in Narok and that there's no dust at all right now. That's hard to imagine, though I remember a few brief periods where the dust turned to mud. There was no in between.

I have also been chatting with the president of my NGO, and have offered to help him develop a program for 30 volunteers coming in this summer. The girls I trained as mentors are doing great. They received some extra training from the center in Nairobi that I found, and now they are holding girls' leadership camps of their own. 400 girls were supposed to attend 4 camps over the last few weeks. Hellene e-mailed me an update a few days ago, and she says things are going well. They're even going to get paid a little bit for their work this time!

On Friday, I leave the comfort of dad and Karen's home to head back east and look for work from there. I have several scheduled stops along the way to see Peace Corps volunteers. It will be nice to reminisce about the good old days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home